Thursday, October 15, 2015

ladder leap in good neighbors

Several of my quilts came home from Connecting Threads this week, which was exciting! Shipping quilts makes me nervous and I am always more than a little relieved when they come home safely. I thought it would be a good time to share my second version of the ladder leap quilt, this time sewn up in good neighbors fabric. The gray solid is from Connecting Threads as well. 
It's interesting to me to see how a pattern looks sewn up in different fabrics. The solids version and this version are pretty close, all things considered...but they still have their own look and feel. For this version, I used a lighter gray solid as a background than the solids version. I like that it creates a softer look, but there is still enough contrast between the blocks and background.
 I backed the majority of the quilt with these fabulous orange dots (Spot On by Robert Kaufman)....
....and of course some scraps from the front made an appearance in this backing as well.
For the quilting, I did the same treatment as the solids version...which is a combination of free motion quilting and straight line quilting. If it isn't broke, you don't need to fix it! :) I loved making those loop-de-loops! Once you get in the groove, it's so much fun.
And here are both versions together. I love them as a pair!!! I think that my boys will be happy to sleep under them! Each quilt measures about 64" x 88".

23 comments:

vkh6210 said...

Beautiful quilts. Like them both.

Corrie H. @ Mountain Stitches said...

Great job! I bet your boys will love them!

JanineMarie said...

I like both versions as well. And I love that loopy quilting!

Little Quiltsong said...

They are both beautiful. Love the fabric and fabric colors you used in both. Your boys will definitely love them!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Both versions are awesome. This is a great pattern.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I just love this pattern. I'm pretty sure I need to make my own version. :)

Gina said...

Love these quilts

margaret said...

these look great. today I ordered your book, can`t wait for it to come

the zen quilter said...

That sunny yellow is so fabulous! The prints are super fun. I can't decide which I like best, the solids or the prints!

Lorna McMahon said...

Both are very beautiful... But I really lean towards favouring the one made with the Good Neighbors. Such a fun group of prints. This simple setting really shows them off well!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Just checked out your collection on connecting threads! I didn't know there was a coordinating wide back...awesome!!!!

Melissa Dee said...

Those quilts are really beautiful! I have finished my first complete quilt yesterday and the binding fabric was from Good Neighbourg! I choose the fabric because I think it would look good with all the other fabrics in my quilt and I was very pleased when I realised it was Good Neighbourg!! It is the teal stripes.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Wow they really are quite similar in feel and coloring. Both really nice. I got my order of Good Neighbors this week to add to my stash. Yummy. Especially the x's and lots of gray stripe for binding.

Ioleen said...

Love both quilts. Both have great colours.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Awesome!

Amy said...

I just love this fabric line. I just picked up a bundle after your talk at the Mad City Quilt Guild. Thank you for your inspiration! I can't wait to cut into this line!

Leanne Parsons said...

This version is beautiful too! I love Connecting Threads fabric, and your designs are all so lovely. I'll be ordering some for sure!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I like that gray background. I bet that would look good with some floral material too.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! They look so happy together!!

Unknown said...

Both are beautiful! I love the subtle difference between the solid version and the print version.

Karen said...

Lucky boys! Good neighbors is such a terrific fabric collection. Thanks so much for giving us quilters such great color and design to play with :)

Unknown said...

Nice!! I love them both! I love how you use a grey background but bright colors, it doesn't look dull, which is what I usually think when I see grey!

Carolynn (www.indigostitches.com) said...

The quilts look great together. The good neighbors fabric is so fun. Love the fabric with little x's you used on the ladders. I am inspired to get cracking on a quilt for my youngest....I have been putting it off too long!