Monday, April 10, 2017

an almost finished sweater

Last night I finished knitting my very first sweater! I'm so excited that this project is ALMOST done! I had to laugh, because after I cast off the second sleeve, I tried on the sweater and THEN I realized that one cuff was about 3 rows shorter than the other. I had measured, but apparently not carefully enough! Doh! I decided to shorten the first sleeve rather than try to splice in a new strand of yarn on the second sleeve. My kids told me to just leave it, and that no one would even notice, but apparently they don't know me at all. Hahaha! Of course I had to fix it!
I have heard about blocking sweaters, but I didn't know much about it, so I used this helpful tutorial from Tin Can Knits. This morning I soaked my sweater with Eucalan (which was purchased at my local quilt/yarn shop) and now it is blocking. I found it kind of odd to place it on cardboard, but I guess it works.
I can not wait until it dries so I can wear it! Thankfully (?!?) we still have plenty of chilly mornings ahead of us, so I should have an opportunity to wear it this season.
I will try to get some photos of me wearing it, eventually! (Although I'm not looking forward to modeling it. Ha!)

Pattern: Harvest by Tin Can Knits (it's free!)
Yarn: Madelintosh Vintage in the color Fog
Start Date: December 2016
End Date: April 2017 (5 months isn't bad!)

Since the sweater was successful, it looks like my entire family won't be wearing matching hats and gloves after all. I bet they are sooo relieved!

Happy Monday to you!

28 comments:

Debbie said...

It looks fantastic! I hope you enjoyed the process. May there be many more!

Sharon Tucker said...

Love the color...can't wait to see it on you :-)

Crafty Coffin said...

Very pretty! That is a fabulous first sweater.

KerryQ said...

Congratulations on your first sweater! Someday I'll get there!

Judy said...

If you don't want to use cardboard a very large bath towel is great for that and the back(light colored) of a heavy quilt works, too.

Ray and Jeanne said...

It looks great!!! Congrats on your first sweater. You may want to invest in a blocking mat. It has squares that really help in keeping things straight. ~Jeanne

Svetlana said...

It's beautiful, well done!!! Now I want to try knitting a sweater too :)

Jenny said...

Congratulations - that's a great achievement indeed. And it's looking great.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

It's beautiful! Glad you could fix the sleeve issue painlessly!

Tracybug Creative said...

I don't know much about knitting, but this beauty makes me want to learn!!

claudia said...

That's a great sweater!

Di~ said...

Wow! I love that sweater! I bet you do too! :)

Steffi said...

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum 1. selbst gestrickten Pullover, sieht toll aus!
Liebe Grüße
Steffi

Suzanne said...

Yippee!!! What a great accomplishment! I do declare you have a fine piece of knitting on your hands, I mean, body. :)

Jessica Christensen said...

It's so beautiful! Of course, it's no surprise that you do great work on your projects. I look forward to the modeling pictures. :)

Carolyn said...

It's beautiful, congratulations on your first finished sweater! Can't wait to see it on!

Chris said...

Congratulations on finishing your first sweater!

Becky said...

That's a beautiful sweater! I bet you will get alot of use out of it. I haven't knitted a sweater for years, but maybe I'll get around to it again someday. Great job!

fannie jane said...

Good for you! I've knitted a few very basic little sweaters for a child, but haven't got the courage to try one for myself. I hope we get to see a pic of you wearing your creation!!

Karla's Quilts said...

This made me laugh in several places. Love the sweater!

Brenda said...

It's beautiful, Amanda! Congratulations on your first sweater.

Lodi said...

LOVELY!

Anne Hayward said...

Your cardigan looks fab I don't usually bother with the blocking part of knitting lol always too keen to get them worn, I'm sure you will really enjoy wearing it as you've put so much time into the creation xxx

Rosec said...

Wow, pretty! Love that color. Can't wait to see it on you. I've only knit a few sweaters and the feeling of accomplishment is sweet.

Nancy in IN said...

Love the sweater. I have the pattern and want to try. You are my inspiration. The pattern and site was recommended to me by my local yarn shop owner.

Laura said...

Your sweater looks beautiful. I would be proud to wear that! Nicely done!

Jeneta said...

Shame. I was looking forward to a family photo of matching hats and gloves. Love your sweater. So glad you still have some cooler mornings ahead of you to enjoy its lusciousness (and admire the equal sleeve lengths!). x

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful knitting. Really need to get enthused and take some refresher lessons. Congrats!