Wednesday, April 05, 2017

WIP Wednesday-quilting and some EPP

Thank you for your kind comments on my post about collaborating with my daughter! She and I appreciate your positive feedback very much. THANK YOU! :)
I've been working on my crayon challenge project for the upcoming guild meeting this month. (I'm only sharing a peek, since it's a challenge.) It's AMAZING how fast one can accomplish something when FOCUS is applied. Sometimes deadlines are great! :) This isn't my first time learning this lesson, but I almost always need the reminder! I hope to finish the quilting soon, so I can get on to the binding stage. I love finishing up a quilt!
I started an EPP (English paper pieced) hexagon project. I'm in the very beginning stages, but this project couldn't be more timely. Spring means track season, end of school concerts and activities galore. Most of the activities involve some sort of waiting around. I needed a new portable project, since I finished my dot your i's quilt, so this is a nice filler. I'm planning on making a throw pillow cover out of these hexagons, as kind of a warm up project. (More on that in a bit.) I took my sew it goes tote out for it's initial run and it is AMAZING!!! The pattern tote is available here. (It's a very involved pattern, but the results are worth it!) I think it's funny that the thread catcher (pattern is here) I made years ago coordinates so well with the tote. :)
For my hexagons, I'm using this paper punch that I purchased last fall at JoAnn's when it was 60% off. The cost of the punch was less than the cost of two packets of paper pieces, ready made! I'll need about a zillion hexagons, so it won't take long for this purchase to pay off. I'm using leftover card stock for my papers and the punch works SO well! The hexagons measure 1" on each side.

This is the reason I need a hexagon warm up project....
This isn't a WIP quite yet, but I'm planning on making a reproduction of this vintage quilt! I told my husband my plan, and he didn't bat an eye or discourage me one bit, so I think it's a go. Hahaha! I just happened to buy the end of the bolt of this orangey red solid on clearance (it's Cotton Couture by Michael Miller) on the same trip that I bought the quilt. I think it was meant to be! I'm excited to start a new LONG term project!

20 comments:

deebriese said...

You are a complete genius! What a great idea..i love love love that quilt..maybe ill try to quilt along with you

farmhousequilter8 said...

Amanda, save the inserts from magazines and mail, they make perfect hexagon papers and also index cards but the ones from magazines are free!! Paula in KY

Amanda said...

My own kick in the butt to try EPP came from a very similar vintage quilt, used at a LQS as a table cloth :) I have since finished a small table topper and a pillow cover, and hope to have a summer camping project on the go soon. Happy hand sewing! I love your EPP bag too.

Rivah Rats Quilting said...

Omg, I'm so excited because I have been contemplating the English hexies myself!! Please keep in touch, so thrilled to see that tool, the precut papers are outrageous! Happy quilting!

SarDee said...

I second Denise's comment! Maybe we can do a quilt-a-long that shows one of the diamonds and a count each week, or bi-weekly? I did a EPP hexi baby quilt but for lack of motivation I only did a center medallion of the hexis and then lots of borders. Would LOVE to finish a pillow cover or full quilt with them. I find the little scrap hexis so, so soothing to stitch around the templates and stack into little jewel piles! So beautiful.

Teresa Palmer said...

I've never tried hexies. I know your project will give me the confidence to dig through my scraps!

Suzanne said...

Hexagon punch. On sale. You are so clever. (This is just another example, of course.)

Gretchen Weaver said...

That is a beautiful hexagon quilt. I find EPP so enjoyable and relaxing. Be patient, hand sewn quilts don't get sewn in a month but they are so worth the time and effort. I didn't even know JoAnn's had hexagon punches! I'm checking this out and and know what to use the next 60% off coupon for. Thanks for the tip.

Paige said...

I have the same punch, it works great!

Sam said...

It always starts with a vintage hexie quilt....then the obession starts and builds. When one thinks to put together the Grandmother Flower Garden flowers, one finds she has two different sizes. So a lap quilt and a couch quilt are made. Then she buys that same punch, thinging to make triangles and use up the orphan hexies...and buys more fabric...and makes more EPPs. Will let you know when I get it done. But you have been warned!

pennylanequilts said...

That orangey red will be so perfect for the new quilt , and the MM Cotton Couture will be so nice and soft for the EPP! Inquiring minds want to know...does this mean that you have decided to not try and repair the vintage quilt? Also, do you plan to use 30s reproductions for the other hexagons or go with something different? I am sure all will be revealed in time! Enjoy the warm up project.

Laura said...

I like how you use binding clips to hold your hexies in place. I'll have to try that! Also, I love MM Cotton Couture. It has a silky feel to it.

KateKwiltz said...

I bought the punch, too -- just couldn't justify spending $5 for those little card stock prepackaged thingies. I use the weekly postcards I get from my grocery store, they're a little thicker than card stock and I can use them a lot longer.
Happy EPPing!

Moneik said...

I need to buy the hexagon punch, now that we have a JoAnn's in Rapid City. I'm really excited to start a new long term project, but am making myself finish up my Ahhhh's EPP wall hanging and a table runner first.

Janice Holton said...

I am so envious of those of you who are not intimidated by a project that you know might take months or even years! Good for you!

Mary Marcotte said...

Your vintage quilt is beautiful! Of course it would make for a great incentive quilt. Several friends love hexies. I've only considered them for minor projects and certainly never considered a warm up project. You've almost convinced me to consider hexies for my summer "on the road" project. Riding shotgun for hours every day can become tedious unless there's a hand project in my lap.

grammajudyb said...

I was going to tell you about the magazine inserts for punching, but several have already mentioned that. We have several women here in NE Wyoming that do hexie projects, large and small. They are so fun and portable. I can do hexies in the car or sew on binding, but not embroidery or cross stitch, so it's nice to have a busy bag with a take-along project. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pillow.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm beginning to "get" the "crazy" part of your handle, CRAZYmomquilts! You've got a different perspective on what needs to be made... like a one-inch EPPed hexagon quilt! Really?! But that's the best part about being a quilter. You can make whatever you want, and spend as much time making what you want, as you want! It will be extremely enjoyable watching YOU put that one together! And the project case you'll use as you go along is adorable. You've certainly got your crazy act together! :-)

Melanie said...

Just have to say, the quilted loops look so great! Have fun and I hope you make the deadline :)

Unknown said...

I am currently working on a lot of hexi's... I can't seem to get enough of them. Can't wait to see both of your project done! And I love your idea of making a reproduction quilt!